Teatro alla Scala
AAD – 75th Annual Meeting
March 3-7, 2017
The third magnet to collect, after the Duomo di Milano, and Vertical Forest (il Bosco Verticale) is “Teatro alla Scala”
La Scala (“Teatro alla Scala”) is an opera house in Milan, Italy. The Theatre was inaugurated on 3 August 1778 and was originally known as the “Nuovo Regio Ducale Teatro alla Scala”. The “Teatro alla Scala” was born by fire. When the “Nuovo Regio Ducale” was destroyed, the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria decided to build a new theatre on the same area of the fourteenth century Church of Santa Maria della Scala.
In 1778 the architect Giuseppe Piermarini finished the construction of the Theatre La Scala. Most of Italy’s greatest artists, and many of the finest singers from around the world, have appeared at La Scala during the past 200 years.
The theatre is regarded as one of the leading opera and ballet theatres in the world and is home to the La Scala Theatre Chorus, La Scala Theatre Ballet and La Scala Theatre Orchestra. The Theater was appreciated all over the world not only for its façade, but above all for the horseshoe-shaped interior, that marked the definitive end of the baroque theater hall forms and became the new prototype of the neo-classical theaters.
The importance of the theater is due also to the acoustics.
Giuseppe Piermarini, in fact, created a void between the ceiling of the Theatre and the true ceiling of the palace in order to reproduce a case as that of the musical instruments, in which the sound waves perfectly. La Scala became the model for Italian theaters, and was later reused in different theaters all around Europe, overcomed only by the construction of the Palais Garnier in Paris in 1875.